Monday, September 13, 2010

Repentance and Rye?

The two can go hand in hand. My family celebrates Jewish holidays. We are Christians and that means we are Christ-like; what was Jesus doing this fall?-celebrating Rosh Hashanah. This holiday marks the first month of the Hebrew Calendar and commences the time of reflection and repentance. Often followers will toss bread into a body of water with each piece symbolizes an idea for change.
Last week I took my family to Douglas Park in Santa Monica so we could do just that. I read a page in a children's book that explained the topic and they each said somethings they would like to do better in the New Year. Tia thought this was a wishing well and was asking for things she wanted- I redirected her gently. My son is only three so I helped him say "I will obey Mommy when she tells me something and I will not hit my sister". My sister and cousin were worse than the kids! They were so enamoured by the ducks and water turtles climbing out the pond, the object lesson was lost on them.
Oh well, La Shana Tova! What are you going to do different this year? Get a head start on January!

No comments:

Post a Comment