Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Selah Yoga Retreat Part 1



I pulled over to snap a shot on my way up the mountain.

     During the Christmas season my regular yoga class at a free clinic was on hiatus. I found myself at a new studio and was amazed at how many people were crowding into this class on New Year's Eve. Clearly, the demand for yoga is great. I have been going consistently for 6 months now and have had immense results from just one day a week for one hour. My body is toning and the stress relief is tremendous!

     Whenever I've practiced I've felt so connected- not only to my body; but to the One who created it. It bothers me that many Christians are missing the blessing I have come to know because of misinformation. Fundamentally, who created breath? Who fashioned our bodies to bend and stretch? I feel the most connected to my mind, body, and soul when I am in my favorite yoga pose "Sun (aka Son :) Salutation"! 


The view I saw this weekend from my bed!


     "We practice with our minds set on whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy (Phil 4:8); not with our minds emptied. We meditate on the wisdom of God's Word (Psalm 119:9-16, 26-27); not on man's wisdom. We seek the transcendence and glory of God; not our own."-Holy Yoga website

     Unfortunately, I contracted the dreaded Flu last month and later pneumonia! It was horrifying, my breath was so short I couldn't talk. I spent all that week in bed. In the following days I had trouble sleeping and went online. It occurred to me that although I had never heard of "Christian Yoga"; I wanted to Google it. Turns out, it sprouted at Saddle Back Church (Rick Warrens' of The Purpose Driven Life book). There are studios all over Orange County by minitries called Holy Yoga and Yaweh Yoga!

     I was stunned and excited and began to learn more. I  checked the event list and noticed there was a Yoga retreat in Idyllywild, CA I could drive to. I was enthralled! With ideas of opening my own studio- coupled with having felt I could take my yoga practice to a new level by integrating worship music, Scripture... . I really, really, wanted to go! With only one day notice (and a getaway planned with Patrick) I knew he would be wary.

     I went to bed last Thursday not sure if I would attend hours later. During my deep slumber I felt a warmness and energy infuse my body and a glimpse of the retreat, it  jolted me awake at 3:33 am and I knew with 100% certainty that I HAD to go.

I texted the retreat coordinator around 9 am. My hubby said "I didn't even say it was O.K". I said "I know, but I must go". Go I did





No comments:

Post a Comment